The circle of life is in full effect. As Kimberly and I prepare to welcome our baby, here I am saying goodbye to my beloved Gramps. He had been saying since our wedding that he was waiting for a blessed event for us. Luckily he knew about the pregnancy and that he would become a great-grandfather for the third time. On the other hand his body just couldn't hold up, but at least he knew.
What will I tell my child about their great-grandfather? There are just so many things, but one that comes to mind was his love of family. No matter what, his family was the most important part of this life. He was the patriarch, the king of the castle. During family dinners he would hold court and not necessarily talk much, but would watch and listen to his clan. This is when you could tell he was the happiest.
He was not just a grandfather to me, he was also like a father. After my dad's passing when I was 10, he stepped up. He was there for me and my brother for what ever we needed. Whether it was a sports game, school play, graduation or wedding. He was always there in the front row cheering us on, making sure we knew that we were loved.
Gramps, I miss you more then I ever thought I could. I can only hope that I can become half the man you were and raise my family as you did yours. With an open mind and even larger heart. I look forward to four weeks from now when we learn whether we will be having a boy or girl and choose not just a name, but a name that will honor you for years to come. I could not think of a better person to name my child after. A man so strong, so smart, so caring, so loving as you.
Seymour "Sy" Kossak
3/20/1918 - 3/9/2010

No comments:
Post a Comment