Growing up with an older brother, I of course am used to sibling rivalry. I feel that it is actually an important part of growing up, as it has made me a better person. I would expect this to happen to my own child one day if we were to be blessed with a second one in the future. What I did not expect was for this to occur while our first baby is only still in utero.
Now you may ask, what the heck is he talking about? Well I guess I should start by saying, perhaps this isn't my first 'child'. I am lucky enough to be the adoptive father of a wonderfully lovable furry little creature, more commonly known as The Lily. Lily has brought so much joy to Kimberly and I throughout the years. From the growing pains as a kitten, to her rebellious teenage years sneaking out of the house, I suppose we should have known there would be a time when Lily would have to adapt to another person in the house. We all remember what happened when Leo came to live with us (click here for Leo's story). Who would of thought that Lily would have been able to sense that there's a baby on the way?
We realized that Lily might not be ready for our new addition when twice in the past two weeks she has decided to relieve herself on our bed in the middle of the night. Not just on our bed, but right on Kimberly's 'belly'. Well of course this meant a trip to the vet to first rule out a UTI. This was quickly ruled out, which means one thing: Lily knows about the baby and we don't think she is happy about it. What to do now? Get rid of her? Of course not! Lily is going nowhere, we are working on just paying a bit more attention to her and making sure is gets enough play time.
We have kitty prozac on standby, just in case.
LOL..that is funny, awesome, and frustrating all at the same time! Our animal children are funny creatures, aren't they? I hope Lily realizes she isn't being replaced/displaced soon!
ReplyDelete