Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Nesting (by mom)

32 down, 8 to go!
Dom now weighs in at 3.75 pounds and is 16.7 inches long!

Nesting (v): To Nest: an uncontrollable urge to clean one’s house brought on by a desire to prepare a nest for the new baby, to tie up loose ends of old projects and to organize your world.”

I've heard stories about people's nesting instincts kicking in a few weeks before their baby is due, but clearly Scott and his OCD nature has started rubbing off on me!  Here we are at 32 weeks and I am in full nesting mode.  Our nursery is completed, we painted all of our kitchen cabinets, my hospital bag is packed, we cleaned and organized the garage, have kept the house immaculately clean (including dusting, base boards, and all other items that we normally tackle every other week or so), new curtains are altered and installed, baby clothes are washed, the garden is weeded & mulched, patio chair cushions are made.  The list could go on and on.

At first I thought we were just trying to knock a few items off of our honey-do list, but every time we finish a project, I just want to keep going.  Something as simple as sweeping the kitchen floor turns into me giving the kitchen a thorough scrub down.  I've never felt so compelled to keep moving-- I feel like the freakin' energizer bunny! 

Now Scott is the exception here-- he's not nesting.  He's trying to "earn" a new fire pit for the back yard.  I bribed him into finishing every project he ever started on the house in the past three years by agreeing to use family funds to build a fire pit once all other projects are finally completed.  Well he sure wants that fire pit!  He's been working his little tail off finishing odd projects.  What is it with men and fire?  I think a little fire is worth all the amazing work he has done these past few months!

I know some women never go though the whole "nesting" phase... just like the cartoon below...

No comments:

Post a Comment